83-640 versus 70-640: Which MCTS: Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Configuration is which?February 3, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Posted in Microsoft | 36 Comments
Tags: 70-113, 70-640, 83-640, MCTS, Performance-Based Testing
Editor’s note: from April 21 to May 7, 2010, you can take the Microsoft Learning Testing Center Survey here: http://deploy.ztelligence.com/start/survey/survey_taking.jsp
As a follow-up to our previous post, here are some points to clarify any confusion between the two tests (70-640 and 83-640) for MCTS: Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Configuration.
- 83-640 will gradually replace 70-640: MCTS: Windows Server 2008, Active Directory Configuration, in 2009. The study objectives are the same for both exams; the content has not changed, just the format.
- The lab-based exam was beta tested as the 70-113 pilot.
- Microsoft is using the 83-### numbering scheme to distinguish lab-based exams from the traditional multiple-choice and interactive item-type exams (70-###) and the Microsoft Certified Application Specialist simulation-type exams (77-###).
- To date, 83-640 has only been rolled out in three countries: Ireland, Singapore, and Canada. There is no word yet on when it will be released in the rest of the world.
- In areas where 83-640 hasn’t been released, test-takers will take 70-640. Both versions count equally toward certification.
- The lab-based exam also includes traditional multiple-choice item types. Microsoft does not plan to discontinue that type of question at this time, since some points are better tested in a question/answer format than by demonstrating a technique.