Lightning deal: Microsoft offers FREE upgrades for 2016 MCSA in JuneJune 16, 2016 at 8:35 am | Posted in Certification Paths, Microsoft | Leave a comment
Tags: free stuff, mcsa, SQL server 2016, windows server 2016
Microsoft recently announced an incentive for IT pros working toward their MCSA in Windows Server 2012 or their MCSA in SQL Server 2012/2014: finish your certification by June 30, 2016, and earn a free voucher for the 2016 upgrade exam.
Upgrade path for Windows Server 2016
The MCSA in Windows Server 2012 requires three exams:
- 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
- 70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
- 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
If you have all three under your belt by June 30, you’ll qualify for a free voucher to sit exam 70-743: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016. No exam details are available at this time.
Upgrade path for SQL Server 2016
The MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014 also requires three exams:
- 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
- 70-462: Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
- 70-463: Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014
Interestingly, although only one upgrade exam number is shown for SQL Server 2016 (70-762), it looks like there are actually three separate upgrade options:
- Earn an MCSA: SQL Server 2016 (Database Development) by taking 70-762: Developing SQL Databases
- Earn an MCSA: SQL Server 2016 (Database Administration) by taking 70-762: Provisioning SQL Databases
- Earn an MCSA: SQL Server 2016 (Business Intelligence Dev) by taking 70-762: Developing SQL Data Models
Again, Microsoft hasn’t released any exam objectives or details at the time of this post.
Do I have time to study?
Absolutely. Transcender has a full range of practice tests, e-learning, and virtual labs for each track, including a 30-day online access version of the practice tests:
What if I already have an MCSA in 2012 / 2014?
The wording was “between now [June 2] and June 30, 2016,” so this offer is probably limited to people who haven’t yet passed all the required tests. You can see Microsoft’s original post at the Born To Learn blog, and ask whether the offer extends to those who already have their certification in hand. However, as a certified professional, you should already be receiving emails from Microsoft each time a free beta exam is released (like the recent offer for the 70-698), so if you don’t qualify for this deal, odds are that a similar one will come your way.
~ The Transcender Team